Sunday, May 30, 2004

Good reads at ridiculously low prices

At Carrefour, Subang Jaya(in Selangor, Malaysia). And I don't mean throwaway copies that nobody would ever read but good, meaty stuff.

Because my poor wallet doth protest too much, I could not buy all the Shakespearean plays I wanted. These penguin Shakespearean books cost RM30 or so (went to MPH before I walked to Carrefour) but for some strange, cosmically weird reason, Carrefour was selling it at RM9.95. (Actually I know the real reason -- overstocked books, over-orders etc. But never mind.)

I bought Julius Caesar (my favourite Shakespearean play. The Merchant of Venice is second), and two other Shakespearean plays I've not read: Pericles and The Two Gentlemen of Verona. Another good, meaty book I bought was Katherine Mansfield's Bliss and other stories -- she's my all-time favourite short story writer.

Also in my shopping cart was Tolstoy's How Much Land Does a Man Need? and other stories.

Back in my classic literature phase -- oh, some seven years ago -- I devoured short stories; Katherine Mansfield, Tolstoy, Chekov, Alice Walker, Rudyard Kipling and George Orwell ... perhaps it's time to revisit these classics and rediscover them once more.

Thank goodness for Carrefour! I hope to raid the bin sometime again this month and complete my Shakespeare collection; however I doubt that will really happen. I'll either give in to my monthly DVD fix or buy more fluffy books that my brain just wants right now (you know, like Gossip Girl or Smallville tv tie-ins). Not to mention that I owe the bank sooooo much of money!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home