Monday, December 20, 2004

Review: Return of the King extended edition



Faramir giving his future wife an adoring look. Yeah, you got that right. It's me he's looking at.

So, I'll spit it out - I'm dissapointed. Now, before eyeris gets a heart attack, let me explain myself.

I shouldn't have read the book before seeing the movie. Then the dissapointment wouldn't have been so acute. It doesn't help that my favourite chapter in Return of the King is The House of Healing and The Pyre of Denethor. Pete Jackson mangled that pretty good.

In the extended edition, The Houses of Healing is a blink-and-you-will-miss-it sequence. Instead of Aragorn healing Faramir, Eowyn to prove to the Gondorians that he is indeed the King returned, we get a "set up" for Faramir and Eowyn to exchange cow eyes at each other. (grumble)

Hey, I love Faramir and Eowyn being together and all that. Faramir is one of my fav characters. However, in the movie, Eowyn seemed so ... frivolous to have gotten over Aragorn so fast. And I agree with eyeris when he said that the Extended Edition made Aragon more ... wussy.

The Houses of Healing, if it had been done right, would've lent additional strength to Aragorn. Same with the ghosties at the Dimolt (sp?). What I don't get is why must Pete extend the battle scenes even more? Honestly, one could scrape a few minutes from those scenes to do justice to the Houses of Healing or other crucial scenes.

Also, now I get why Daphne is so irritated with movie-Gimli. In the EE, he seems even more like a clown. Yeesh.

I didn't get to see Faramir and Eowyn wed! (bawl) The scene was shot, y'see.

Also, as I was watching the documentaries in the EE, apparently they also shot scenes about the fate of the rest of the team. There's a scene of Gimli looking at jewels and one of a very delicious-looking Legolas (with longer, more pristine hair if it's possible) walking in what could only be the forests of Ithilien. After the War, he helped rebuild Ithilien with Faramir.

Ah, what could be! Pete, if only you could've just scraped 5 minutes of extended battle to allow us to see these scenes. But boys will be boys ...

PS: I will never ever read a book before the movie again. I mean, look what happened to Legend of Earthsea!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home