Monday, March 21, 2005

Sepet wins Top Prize! Yay!

I'm really glad that director Yasmin got the nod when her movie Sepet won the Grand Jury Prize at the 27th Creteil International Women Directors Festival.

When I heard that this was the same director who was responsible for the fuzzy-wuzzy, muhibah, and oh-so-good to watch Petronas festive greetings ads, I was pretty sure it'll be good because it would be the most Malaysian movie ever.

For one, although Spinning Gasing, another local movie, was laudable because it dared to broach "touchy" topics, I felt it was weird that everyone spoke English.

Here, according to reviews, characters speak Malay, Chinese, English (I think). Just like how Malaysia is, a rojak* of languages and cultures.

I've got to admit that I'm a bad girl, I've not watched Sepet. I truly want to - anyone want to go with me - once I make the time that is! Hopefully this Friday, when I'm off, I'd make the trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home